YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED | Portadown, Co. Armagh | Shelbourne Motors

Frequently Asked Questions 

Do Hybrids need to be plugged in?

You do not need to plug in to recharge the batteries on Yaris, Auris, RAV4. C-HR, Prius & Prius+. These are charged automatically as you are driving.


Will the battery be replaceable in Hybrids or will the car lose its value/the battery very expensive to replace, a bit like an iPhone battery is very hard to replace?

It is extremely unlikely that a battery will need replacing. In the unlikely event that the hybrid battery does need to be replaced and the warranty has expired, the cost is approximately £800. An annual Hybrid Health Check here at Shelbourne Toyota is the best way to ensure you are safeguarding the health of your vehicle for years to come.

What happens if I run out of charge when I am out and about?

Your Toyota hybrid doesn't need to be charged as it charges itself automatically as you drive. The car chooses the most efficient use of both the petrol engine and the electric battery, seamlessly switching and blending between the two where necessary, just make sure you don't run out of petrol!

How does a Hybrid compare with petrol and diesel cars on mileage?

As the hybrid car increases speed, say on a motorway, then its conventional engine kicks in and it starts to use petrol just like any conventional car. However, even when taking slow speed usage out of the equation, hybrid mpg is still very impressive.

What happens about breakdown insurance for hybrid cars - would this be covered by companies such as AA or RAC or do you need specialist companies?

Road assistance companies are full trained in all Toyota cars, including hybrids and have been since 1997.


How much would a typical car owner save every year on fuel costs by using a hybrid car instead of a standard engine car of the same size?

It is impossible to give exact comparison because everyone has different driving styles, uses different roads, encounters more or less traffic, etc, however it is fair to assume a hybrid will deliver a 30-40% saving in running costs.

Is it true that the materials and air miles for shipping batteries for hybrid cars outweighs the environmental impact of not using fuel in the car over its lifetime?

In a word, no. We use an internationally recognised process called Lifecycle Assessment. In the lifetime of any car the emissions that are generated by driving account for approximately 90% of the total. Manufacturing, shipping, scrapping and recycling account for the other 10%. Therefore a technology which saves fuel will see a saving in emissions overall. So a Toyota hybrid is more environmentally friendly than its petrol/diesel equivalent over the last full life cycle.

Are hybrid cars good for the environment?

How do hybrid cars reduce air pollution? It’s a question of emissions. As a general guide, petrol engines produce the most CO2 gasses and diesel engines produce pollutants, such as NOx, whilst hybrid cars have the lowest emissions.