When it comes to safety, the new Mégane shares the benefits of the same Common Module Family (CMF) platform as the KADJAR crossover. Features of this new platform include the use of very high elastic limit steel for the spars, side rails and cross members.
The CMF platform also incorporates effective occupant restraint systems, including dual-generator front airbags, the deployment of which adapts as a function of the type of impact and position of the occupant. This feature enabled the new Mégane to obtain high scores for both adult and child protection. Meanwhile, the seat belts are equipped with pretensioners and adaptive load limiters which adjust the degree of restraint to the severity of the impact and the occupants’ build. In side impacts, front occupants are doubly protected by two latest-generation side airbags and two curtain airbags.
A suite of driver aids
Thanks to the CMF platform, the new Mégane also benefits from the many driver assistance systems already featured on Renault vehicles from the segment above, such as the Espace. These aids are designed to reassure or warn drivers, or for ease of driving.
- Adaptive Cruise Control automatically adjusts the car’s speed to maintain a safe distance to the vehicle ahead
- AEBS (Active Emergency Braking System) warns the driver to brake in order to avoid a head-on collision. The brakes are applied automatically in emergency situations
To warn drivers:
Lane Departure Warning system warns drivers they are leaving their lane without indicating
- The Safe Distance Warning system helps the driver to maintain a safe distance to the vehicle ahead
- Overspeed Protection with Traffic Sign Recognition reads traffic signs in order to adjust the cruise control’s speed setting
- A Blind Spot Warning provides the driver with a visual warning when a vehicle is detected in one of the door mirror’s blind spots
For ease of driving:
- Switching from dipped to main beam head lights and vice-versa is automatic, requiring no driver intervention
- Driver aids also include Hands Free Parking (front, rear and lateral parking sensors) and a reversing camera, subject to specification
- A colour head-up display in the line of sight provides information about the majority of the driver assistance systems, the vehicle’s speed and navigation instructions